When it comes to choosing an orthodontic treatment, there are many options available. Our clinic uses many types of braces, but we’ll also present some that are not yet in our offer.
Here is a comprehensive list of all the different types of braces and their main advantages.
Types Of Orthodontic Braces
Also known as standard braces or traditional metal braces. These are the cheapest braces type, the classics. We’ve known them since we were kids: metal braces, big brackets (the metal pieces that stick to your teeth) and colored elastics.
TRADITIONAL BRACES PROS AND CONS
- PRO: one of the most inexpensive orthodontic treatments;
- PRO: widely used, doesn’t require an extra specialization, and they are still VERY effective in treating orthodontic patients;
- CON: needs ligatures (you can choose interesting colors, but it can still be an issue);
- CON: the brackets tend to be a little bigger than the self-ligating metal braces;
SELF LIGATING BRACES
One step further into making your orthodontic treatment more facile, the self ligating braces remove the need of ligatures (elastics). Their brackets have a ‘sliding door’ that closes over the archwire.
One of the best known brand of self ligating braces is Damon. Our clinic offers this type of braces as well.
SELF LIGATING BRACES PROS AND CONS
- PRO: smaller brackets, less visible
- PRO: no need for elastics
- CON: a more expensive option than traditional braces
Many of our patients love ceramic braces, which are less visible than metal braces. With brackets made of ceramic or clear materials and even the archwires made of a less visible material, these are a great option for patients who are not comfortable sporting a ‘metal mouth’.
CERAMIC BRACES PROS AND CONS
- PRO: less visible than metal braces
- CON: ideal for less crowded teeth. For complex orthodontic cases, we advise patients to opt for more effective options.